BSRT Graduate School

How do I apply for a residence permit?


If you are not German citizen or a citizen of the European Union you must apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) at the immigration office in Berlin (Ausländerbehörde). You need to get the residence permit within three month after your arrival in Germany. Bear in mind that it can take up to six weeks to receive the permit so you should apply as soon as possible.

From the 1 September 2011 the electronic residence permit will be issued due to new EU legislation. You will have to carry this visa card type electronic residence permit along with your passport.

We recommend you make an appointment at the immigration office online in order to avoid long waiting hours. You must take all requested documents otherwise you will be sent back. The following documents are required to apply for a residence permit and extended visa:

  • completed application form (click here to download form)
  • two biometric passport photos
  • your valid passport plus a copy of your passport
  • stipend contract or contract of employment
  • copy of your "Anmeldebestätigung" (see "Do I need to register my adress?").
  • copy of your health insurance certificate.

Once you get your residence permit you have to give a copy to the personnel department of your institute.